The Passaic County Historical
Lambert Castle, Paterson, NJ
Doors of Grants Tomb
by Edward Graf
Short Sketches on Passaic County History, 1935
Mr. Isaac W. Halsted, who resided at 213 Godwin Street, Paterson,
was foreman of Breen and Nason of New York, who had the contract for the
carpenter work for Grantís Tomb. In July 1885, Mr. Halsted was instructed
to make the doors for the tomb and at once proceeded to do the work himself.
The doors were double, make of oak, three and three-quarters inches thick.
Their full size being six feet six inches by four feet and eight inches.
|Mr. Halsted stated that this was the most troublesome task he ever
undertook to do. The work itself did not cause him any trouble, but
he was nearly bothered to death by the relic hunters were out in full force.
From the applications Mr. Halsted received for pieces of the timbers
from which the doors were made he was led to believe that at least half
of the people of the United States were dependent for their happiness on
a piece of this timber. The smallest pieces of shavings were anxiously
sought for, and the carpenters who worked under Mr. Halsted were acting
as commission merchants in the business of procuring relics.
Grant National Monument
(National Park Service Site)
Return to Historically Speaking Index